LAPTOP/TABLET CIRCULATION POLICY
The Kaukauna Public Library will make laptops and tablets available for check out. These devices may be checked out by an adult with an OWLSnet library card in good standing. A Laptop/Tablet Circulation Agreement must be signed by borrower at the time of check out.
1. Patron must be an adult at least 18 years old with an OWLSnet library card in good standing.
2. Borrowers must present their library card and official photo ID (Driver’s license or State ID) to library staff at the time of check out.
3. Address and phone number will be confirmed and recorded. Patron must sign the Laptop/Tablet Circulation Agreement form.
4. The laptop or tablet is checked out for a period of two weeks with no renewals unless special permission is obtained from library administration.
5. The laptop or tablet must be returned to Kaukauna Public Library in person at the circulation desk. All items will be checked at the time of return.
6. No software may be downloaded or installed on the laptop or tablet, nor can any changes be made to the system configurations.
7. Data will be lost when the laptop or tablet is shutdown or loses power. Save your work in the cloud or on an external drive such as a flash drive. The library shall bear no responsibility or liability for claims relating to the loss, damage, or interception of any information, data, work product, or other material viewed, searched or stored on the laptop. All created files will be wiped clean upon the end of usage.
8. Somewhat limited technical support is available through library personnel. Borrowers attest that they have basic familiarity and comfort with the laptop or tablet and the software they will be using.
9. Any loss or damage of the laptop or tablet should be reported immediately. Borrowers should not attempt to troubleshoot problems on the laptop or tablet.
10. The borrower assumes full responsibility for the cost of repair or replacement in the event the laptop or tablet is lost, stolen, or damaged. Replacement cost is $710 for laptops and $245 for tablets.
11. Borrowers must not engage in any illegal activities (e.g. hacking pirating, downloading illegal materials, etc.) or engage in any activities inconsistent with library policies.
12. Violation of any of the above conditions may result in suspension of laptop or tablet borrowing privileges as determined by the Library Administration.
13. Items will be billed seven (7) days after due date. If items are not returned within fourteen (14) days of due date, account information will be released to the local law enforcement to recover Library property.
14. The library reserves the right to petition the court for the release of public library records on circulating equipment and higher cost library materials including, but not limited to, videogames, laptops, tablets, hotspots, ukuleles, projectors and STEM kits in the event that there is reasonable suspicion of theft or resale of library materials. If granted, records will be released to local law enforcement for recovery.