Child Play Area: The Library offers an interactive preschool play area for our friends five and under, no exceptions. Shoes may not be worn on the play mat and socks are required for play. The library sells socks for $1 (cash or check only). Siblings may be in the area, but those over the age of five must stay off of the play mat. We ask that you do not change diapers on the mat; there is a family restroom located in the opposite corner of the children’s room for this purpose. While the library embraces imaginative play, as a public space, running around the youth area is not considered an appropriate use of the space. Children must be supervised at all times by an adult if they are under the age of six; for more details, please see our Unattended Child Policy. A full list of rules for the space is posted.
AWE Early Learning Computer: Interactive learning games for preschool through elementary school students. Located by child internet computers
STEM Kits and Early Readers: We have some great STEAM kits available for preschool through teen interest, which can be checked out with a valid library card. STEAM kits check out for four weeks. A list of kits can be found here .
We also have a large number of beginning reader book kits courtesy of a grant co-written with local KASD teacher Carrie Bartel. These zip pouch kits include 4-16 leveled readers, from publishers like Scholastic and Pioneer Valley. These are a great resource for families with emerging readers. Examples of kits here .
KPL Virtual Storytime is shared online every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with Kaukauna Public Library staff. Catch them on Facebook and YouTube. Make your own storytimes, anytime, with Storytime a la Cart .
Circle Round : A podcast that adapts carefully-selected folktales from around the world into sound- and music-rich radio plays for kids ages 4 to 10.
Flannel Boards for Circle Time : Popular storytime felt stories.
Language Sprout : Free daily storytimes, activities and games in Spanish, French, Mandarin, English, Portuguese for all ages.
Storytime From Space : Astronauts at the International Space Station reading stories.
Storyline Online : Celebrated authors reading children’s books.
- ChessKid : Learn and play chess with kids from around the world. Sign-up is required for this safe and friendly site.
- GoNoodle : Movement and mindfulness videos for kids.
- Harry Potter: A History of Magic : Visit this in-depth exhibit virtually courtesy of the British Library.
- International Children’s Book Library : Read more than 4,500 free books in 61 languages.
- International Library Virtual Tours : Tour eight libraries from around the world from the comfort of your own home.
- Museum Virtual Tours
- NASA Kids Club
- NASA Video and Image Library : Searchable with over 140,000 images and videos.
- New England Aquarium
- Nick Jr. Coloring Book : Color your favorite characters
- Nick Jr. Free Draw : You be the artist!
- Outer Space Math Games : Slash asteroids and encounter aliens while practicing easy math at Funbrain.
- Paw Patrol Pup-Fu : Martial arts color-matching game.
- San Diego Zoo : Animal cams.
- Scholastic Learn at Home : Educational activities for preschoolers through middle schoolers.
- Scratch : Create stories, games, and animations to share.
- Starfall : Enjoy ABC’s, reading, math, and songs.
- Trains4Kids : Stories, Games & Activities, and Videos for young rail fans.
- Visit Mars